Inside of the Right Wing black fields complete
Today is the eleventh day I’ve been working on my Mothra cosplay. I spend between 4 an 6 hours working on it when I do it. Since I work full time I only have Sundays to work on it. At this point I’ve put in a minimum of 44 man-hours (woman-hours in my case) of labor on the costume.
I know that many of the pictures I take each week seem very similar to the ones from the previous week. More than just documenting how to make this costume, I’m chronicling the actual time and effort that goes into making one of these costumes. Progress is often slow and more than once I’ve looked at it and felt that I’ve gotten nothing done, that it’s moving along too slowly. Painting both sides of each wing means that I’m actually repeating a lot of work, but there will be a front side and a back side to the costume and I can think of no way around it.
I had some second thoughts about the costume this last week. Am I painting it right? Will it look ok? What if it looks ridiculous once I’ve got it made? I’ve put so much time and money into it already. Then I look at the pictures I’ve taken and realize that I love what I can envision it as being when it is complete.
Then, while I was putting the pieces of the whole costume together in my mind: The wings, hat, boots, high-low dress I intend to wear underneath; I realized I had overlooked something fairly important. Oh not for the costume, that’ll be awesome (IMHO). No I realized that I had no way to carry ID or cash or anything else in this costume. The wings will get in the way of a purse or bag and there’s no way to wear one under the vest. From a practical standpoint this is a fairly major oversight.
The only thing I can figure is either scrounge up an old fanny pack we have somewhere around here. Then it occurred to me that I could possibly stitch a pocket into the vest. I’ll have to see how that works out because I need to be able to carry a few items with me.
Front of Left wing before black fields complete
As for the cosplay itself, this week I finished up the black fields on both wings. Looking at the left wing I felt that some of the fields that are to hold color were a bit too wide so I thinned them out by making the black fields a bit wider. I’m putting the black down first because when I paint the colors they won’t show up as badly on the black if I go out of the lines as the black would over the colors.
Front of left wing, black fields almost complete
This is a learning process for me. It’s my first real cosplay, the first one that I’ve made from scratch. Thus it will have all of the mistakes a first costume has, it’ll have all of the mistakes a novice makes when crafting something like this. It’s easy for such an item to fall out of favor as experience leads to better cosplays down the road but to be honest I cannot imagine topping this cosplay. Not for concept anyway. What I’m glad of is that I still love this cosplay even after weeks of work and knowing that I still have weeks of work left to do on it.
As far as the budget goes, I did go ahead and buy leather needles. I got an assortment for $4.99, which brings my total for materials up to $80.00.
Painting the inside of the sleeve
Next Sunday I expect to start filling in the bands of color on the wings. Once that’s done I’ll iron them and sew them onto the vest. Speaking of which, I still need to paint the vest a bit more. Worry not, gentle reader, there will be pictures. For now, please enjoy these. K